Tango Icon Library
Where We Are
We have already designed a basic set of Tango icons that is far from complete, yet usable on KDE and Gnome already.
- Tango Icon Gallery - shows the Tango icon collection coverage of the Standard Icon Naming Specification
- Tango Screenshots - see how we're progressing in unification of the look.
You can check out the tango-icon-theme module from freedesktop.org cvs:
cvs -d:pserver:email@example.com:/cvs/tango login cvs -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/tango co tango-icon-theme
You can check out the icon-naming-utils module from freedesktop.org cvs:
cvs -d:pserver:email@example.com:/cvs/icon-theme login cvs -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/icon-theme co icon-naming-utils
The Tango icon library contains a basic set of icons for the most common usage. To make it easier for a developer to find an appropriate icon for his application a number of aids are there to help.
The SVG versions of the icons contain useful meta information such as keywords which enable searching. The naming specification defines structured naming scheme that also helps.
In future we also plan to provide a web-based searching facility for finding icons easily.
How to Participate
- You may file bugs in our Bugzilla
- The icon-naming-utils may be missing links to existing names. Patches are welcome on the tango mailing list.
- You should make sure you have read and understood Generic Icon Theme Guidelines. Suggestions to improve the guidelines to better match the goals of the Tango project are welcome on the tango-artists mailing list.
- As for file formats, the bitmap icons should be RGBA PNG and the vector icons in SVG format.
- While this is no requirement, we suggest you use Free Software to produce the artwork. Try Inkscape for a vector editor and GIMP fits the bill perfectly as a bitmap icon editor.
- Join the Tango-artists mailing list.
- If you are an independent software vedor and you aim to comply with theme guidelines, let us know your thoughts too. Screenshots are welcome.
While the base set aims to fulfill the core icon needs, we are working on additional icon sets for used in specialized applications.