Tango Icon Library
We have designed a basic set of desktop icons that follow the style guidelines. The set has been created as a proof of concept for the style, but works rather well as a replacement for the base theme under GNOME and KDE.
- Tango Icon Gallery - a sample implementation of the naming spec following the style guidelines.
You can check out the tango-icon-theme module from freedesktop.org cvs:
cvs -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/tango login cvs -d:pserver:email@example.com:/cvs/tango co tango-icon-theme
You can check out the icon-naming-utils module from freedesktop.org cvs:
cvs -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/icon-theme login cvs -d:pserver:email@example.com:/cvs/icon-theme co icon-naming-utils
An extended set of tango icons is available in the tango-icon-theme-extras module from freedesktop.org cvs:
cvs -d:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvs/tango login cvs -d:pserver:email@example.com:/cvs/tango co tango-icon-theme-extras
- Older Versions
The Tango icon library contains a basic set of icons for the most common usage. To make it easier for a developer to find an appropriate icon for his application a number of aids are there to help.
The SVG versions of the icons contain useful meta information such as keywords which enable searching. The naming specification defines structured naming scheme that also helps.
In future we also plan to provide a web-based searching facility for finding icons easily.
How to Participate
- You may file bugs in our Bugzilla
- The icon-naming-utils may be missing links to existing names. Patches are welcome on the tango mailing list.
- You should make sure you have read and understood Generic Icon Theme Guidelines. Suggestions to improve the guidelines to better match the goals of the Tango project are welcome on the tango-artists mailing list.
- As for file formats, the bitmap icons should be RGBA PNG and the vector icons in SVG format.
- While this is no requirement, we suggest you use Free Software to produce the artwork. Try Inkscape for a vector editor and GIMP fits the bill perfectly as a bitmap icon editor.
- Join the Tango-artists mailing list.
- If you are an independent software vendor and you aim to comply with theme guidelines, let us know your thoughts too. Screenshots are welcome.
- We hold semi-regular drawing sessions each Friday. Feel free to join the effort.
While the base set aims to fulfill the core icon needs, we are working on additional icon sets for used in specialized applications.
- Art Libre Set -- for graphics applications.
- Emotes Kopete -- smiley theme for kopete.
- Emotes Psi -- smiley theme for Psi.
- Gaim theme -- theme for Gaim.
- gFTP Tango theme -- modified gFTP pixmaps pack
- Opera Icon Theme -- an Opera browser "skin" using tango-styled icons.
- Tango Icons for Firefox -- Mozilla Firefox theme
- Tango Icons for Firefox -- Mozilla Firefox theme #2 (bugged on Windows)
- Tango Icons for Thunderbird -- Mozilla Thunderbird theme
- Tango Project resources for java developers
- Office Worker
- Ubuntu's Tango Theme -- a derivative of the standard Tango theme, using a more orange approach. (ubuntu)
- Claroline Tango theme -- Claroline is a e-Learning and e-Working platform.
- MediaWiki Tango theme -- MediaWiki is a wiki engine.
- Plango -- Tango Icons for Plone
- Tango Deprecated -- widely used icons that don't make much sense to drag along.